Life After LAT – How the System Has Changed

$ 79

Category:

Description

On April 1, 2016 we changed from the FSCO system to the License Appeal Tribunal (LAT). The very last FSCO hearing took place on March 31, 2017. The aim is to phase out FSCO entirely by January 1, 2018.

For many people, this has been a difficult transition. The new system promised to be faster and easier allow injured parties to self-represent. It is the goal of the LAT to eventually be able to accept electronic payments and filings.

Pressure for the change came from the Insurance companies, not the personal injury bar. Insurance companies were trying to stream line. Allstate, for example, classifies cases under “MIST” (minor injury soft tissue) and the Insurance Bureau puts these at 85% of claims made. If they can be eliminated, then the remaining 15% of serious cases can get the adjuster’s attention. Previously those 85% have clogged the FSCO system.

Now that the one year anniversary of the LAT has been achieved, this webinar will give you a quick overview of the year in review. We will highlight the key changes and list some of the more significant cases that have been decided this past year.

Recorded on Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 12:30 p.m. for 60 minutes.

Presenter: Charlene Lewin, Senior Law Clerk/Licensed Paralegal with more than 28 years experience.

This program contains 1 hour of Substantive content in Ontario.